Monday, April 20, 2009

Worth the Wait

We finished the 14 day devotion that Shaohannah's Hope sent us. I wanted to share day 12 with everyone, its message meant a lot to us.

Day 12: Worth the Wait

"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope." Psalm 130:5

While at a Steven Curtis Chapman concert highlighting the need for adoption, a security guard backstage excitedly approached me and said, "I want to share with you what God did for my family through adoption." "Over thirty years ago," he began, "my wife and I wanted to have a child, but we were not able to biologically. We then prayed about adoption and felt led by God to adopt a little boy from South Korea. However, after filing our paperwork, we found out that because my wife has been a type I diabetic since her childhood, we were disqualified from adopting due to current regulations. We were not only emotionally crushed but also confused because we really felt that God had said that there was a little boy for us in Korea. What was God doing? Had we heard the Shepherd's voice rightly?
"Several years later the adoption agency called and said that the regulations had changed and they had a little boy that we would be eligible to adopt from Korea if we were still interested. Of course we said yes, went through the process, and adopted him. "Thirty years after the adoption, my wife became terribly ill from kidney failure. Every family member was checked to find a match for a kidney transplant, but none of us were close enough. Due to my wife's condition and age, she was so far down on the list of priority there was basically no chance she would receive a stranger's kidney.
"Our adopted son then asked to be tested as a possible kidney donor; however, knowing that he was adopted, the hospital refused. Determined to find out whether his blood type was even compatible with that of his adoptive mother's, he went to the local blood bank and gave blood. And only as God's sovereignty could design, not only was our son a blood match, but in fact he also passed all the hospital tests and miraculously ended up being his adoptive mother's kidney donor!
"Looking back at the wait and setbacks we had endured to adopt our son, God's timing could not have been more perfect. God knew exactly how to connect us to the child he created for us. My wife used to become saddened knowing she had never experienced carrying a baby in her womb; however, after her transplant, she told my son that her greatest joy is that for as long as she lives, she will always carry a part of him within her." "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when the desire comes, it is a tree of life" (Proverbs 13:12).
During the times of waiting in my life, am I willing to put my faith in God and His plan?

No comments: