Thursday, June 5, 2008

The innocence of childhood

As I mentioned a few posts ago, my daughter recently gave me an ipod shuffle that I have fallen in love with. I download for free podcasts and have it loaded with all sorts of music. Many of the songs I added are songs from when I was but a wee lad. Its funny how just hearing certain songs can take me right back in my mind to my childhood. The absence of so many worries and resposibilities we all have as adults. The freedom to pursue every day only fun. Make new friends, experience new things. There is just something about the innocence we feel as children.

I recently added a photo of the exterior of my home to my desktop pc at work. I noticed the first few times when I went to my desktop to open a program or find a file, how that picture made me feel secure, safe, a place to go and leave all of the world behind. It made me want to leave work and go home to see my lovely wife and the great kids I love so much. I have so many blessings.

As I have been thinking about these 2 thoughts the past few days I have wondered what it is like to be an orphan. Your parents dead, or having been given away to be cared for by strangers by your parents. What it must be like for them to make it through each day. When they grow to be adults, assuming they even live that long, I wonder what memories they will have of their childhood. Will songs or certain smells or holidays bring back a rush of beautiful memories. Will they have this deposit of love imparted to their souls to help them get by the tough times. Will they have memories of loving parents sharing with them how much they love them but even more important how much God loves them. Its thoughts like these that continue to motivate me to adopt. I want to be able to give the types of memories that I have to my new son/s or daughter/s. I want them to know they were loved by our family, but as I said even more so, that a loving God cares for them.

If you get the chance today, spend some time remembering all the blessings in your life and pray for an orphan somewhere in the world. We are so blessed arent we?

No comments: