Friday, May 30, 2008

The joys of life

Tonight we went to the end of the year celebration at the small Christian School our oldest 3 kids attend. Our youngest is still home schooled by my wife Lisa. As I watched my 3 kids with their friends, I began to realize how quickly life passes us by. My oldest is 17, he will be graduating next year. I cant believe how swiftly the years have flown by. My sons went out after the celebration with their friends to dinner and possibly a movie. My daughters are home with us now, but they are not alone. They brought with them 4 girls from the school. I have 6 young girls and my wife in the house right now. I have escaped to my room to type this on the computer but just a few moments ago, upon my return from getting pizza for this gang, I was in the living room just listening to all of the ruckus in the dining room. There is something very beautiful about the laughter of 6 little girls, its contagious. I found myself laughing just listening to them having fun, celebrating their friendship and the end of the school year. As I thought about this, I started to think about the joys in life. How the simple things are so fullfilling. How if we just open our minds and our hearts just a little more each day to all the wonder God has surrounded us with, how much deeper and richer our lives would be. I cant wait to one day in the not to far off future, enjoy the laughter of my new son/s or daughter/s as they have their friends over for some pizza and an end of the school year party. I long for the day where they wont be worried about where their next bit of food will come from, or to be faced with another day with no Mommy or Daddy there to love them. I want them to be able to sit back, and like I was tonight, simply be thankful for the joys in life!

No comments: