Saturday, December 6, 2008

Interesting thought for Christians

Christians are often known more for what they are against than what they are for. If you ask the typical believer why the ancient city of Sodom was destroyed by God almost all would mention some form of wickedness that took place there. I saw something today though in the Bible that I had never seen before. I think it can speak to us as believers, especially American believers. It is found in the book of Ezekiel, here it is.

Eze 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
Eze 16:50 And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.

Interesting is it not that verse 49 speaks first of their pride, how they were full of bread and abundance, which led to idleness, yet with so much free time and resources they still did not meet the needs of the poor and needy! Verse 50 then speaks of their abominations (sins/wickedness).

Does this sound like the typical Christian today in America?

No comments: