Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Don't read your own press clippings

I think it is very important in life to be transparent with others in your life. Too many of us, myself included, often put on a mask and act like we have everything together. Last night was one of those times where I realized how easy it is to get your motives all messed up.

As we have journeyed along our adoption path sometimes with all that we have to do, it becomes more about us and how much we are doing. We can begin to look at ourselves and think too highly of what we are doing. After all not every person you meet is adopting from Ethiopia right? Last night though I was blessed to attend a small church service of about 40 folks downtown Akron at the YMCA. One of my best friends was preaching the service and after about a year of promising him I would go, I actually went. Its basically a group of homeless people organized by a friend of ours. They sing, preach and then have a dinner for the people. After the preaching there is a small group break out session that lasts for about 10-15 minutes. I met with my friend and 6 other people last night. One gentlemen spoke of his frost bitten feet and how he may be losing toes. Another couple spoke of how they have been living in an abandoned home for over 7 months and how cold it was during the winter months. The man told of a flashlight that he has that is one of those crank flashlights. He said how he has to crank it to get the light and how he sometimes reads the Bible by that light. I wonder how many of us would read our Bibles if we had to crank a flashlight just to see the words at night?

Anyway, these were the types of stories that filled that room last night. The thing I wanted to share though is how this small group of homeless people were recently in the newspaper. They take an offering every week and had raised over $300 to give to an inner city school for kids uniforms etc. What a sacrifice these people make and yet they have nothing.

So much for my families sacrifice!

No comments: