Saturday, March 13, 2010

Blessed with a burden

My wife and I today watched the movie "Freedom Writers" which is a story about a teacher who helps change the lives of many inner city kids who live in a area where gangs and violence are part of everyday life.  It was a touching story of how one person really impacts the world.  There is a part in the movie where her father and she are talking.  Earlier he had told her that her work at the school as a teacher was just a job.  After seeing the changes in her kids over a 2 year period, he tells her a different story.  At one point he tells her that she has been blessed with a burden.  A burden that kept her inspired through all of the tough times during the 2 years she was teaching her kids.  As I heard him share those words, my mind shifted to the burden Lisa and I have for the children of the world.  How it kept us inspired through all the ups and downs during our adoption journey.  There is just something about an inspired passion, a burden, that keeps you pushing forward.  As I type this my mind now wonders to those of you reading these words.  What burden has God blessed you with?  What need has he called you to meet that he made you and planned for you to meet before you were ever born.  I cant answer that question for anyone other than myself, but what I can say, without hesitation, is that while the burden he gives you will at times seem overwhelming, the blessing you will feel, the joy you will experience, while you are in the work he called you to, will far outweigh cost of the burden you will pay.  The best analogy I can think of is labor pains during child birth.  Once that child is in your arms, all the pain is long forgotten and only the joy remains.  So let me ask you, what burden has God blessed you with?

No comments: