Sunday, May 18, 2008

Whats $50?

I was thinking tonight about the value of $50. My daughter Charity won an Ipod shuffle in church today. She was one of 7 kids that had perfect attendance over a period of time and all 7 names went into a drawing and her name was chosen. She told me today they cost about $50 now that they have dropped in price. She has a ipod already that her grandma gave her for Christmas. She chose to give me this ipod for an early Fathers day present. I have been wanting an ipod for sometime but I could not justify the expense in my mind. I have really been thinking a lot about money and what we choose to do with it. I was watching the other night a world vision show about the condition of orphans in Africa. One paricular child worked for an entire week and was payed only $1. Week after week she would only make that $1. I began thinking tonight as I walked in my neighborhood listening to my new ipod, how rich I am. This ipod was given to me by my daughter. The expense of it would be equal to that little orphan girl who would have to work about 1 full year to make the equivalent amount of money. Also this weekend my wife and I bought used beds for our girls at a neigborhood yard sale. We were able to get 2 beds and 2 mattresses for, yes you guessed it $50. Yes we were frugal, yes we were good stewards to invest in these beds, but thats not my focus of this post. Its just about how much we all have, how easy our lives really are in relation to most of the world. So the next time you spend $50 on something, try to be thankful for all that you have, think of that orphan girl I just told you about, and do what you can to help others around you.

No comments: