Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Letter from an orphan

I am reading a book titled " Fields of the Fatherless" by C. Thomas Davis. In the book he has a letter written by a Russian orphan who was visited by some Americans. I think his words are quite poignant, let me share them with you.

" I hated my life since the third grade when I was unmercifully beaten. I felt then that life is lost and death is looking for me. And my tears were telling me that life was nothing in comparison with death. I felt like a little cockroach, which responds in fear when seen.

A bunch of American people came to our school. I thought these people wanted to laugh at us. But I was mistaken. They are people willing to give up the most precious gift a person can possess, love. Their intentions to share seemed strange as they had their own kids. But these people have such big hearts to give that there is still enough room even for us little cockroaches.

Then I began to feel myself not a cockroach anymore which deserved to be killed, but a little human being. It is a wonderful feeling believe me. "

No comments: