Saturday, February 13, 2010

I am nothing

While in Ethiopia at the welcome center there was an older girl there.  She was probably 7, 8 or 9 maybe.  She was very active and vocal and would roam from family to family exploring.  She would get right in everyones bags and look through things as she pleased.  We discovered one day back at the hotel that Lisas contact solution had disappeared and one of the other families told us they saw one of the kids with it back at the center.  So the next few times we were there we were very aware and cautious with our things.  We were especially worried about the camcorder and the digital camera as we had pictures and videos that were of course priceless to us.  Well one time while we were at the center playing with Lillibet-Joy, I was sitting and this one vivacious girl came exploring.  I kindly pulled back my camera case and told her no very gently.  There were several kids all around us playing.  She looked right at me, and with a mean expression on her face she told me in clear English, " I am nothing".  Her words startled me and I realized what she must be thinking and feeling about herself.  I was holding Lillibet who is of course a baby, she was not getting a new family and I am sure was feeling left behind and forgotten.  When I did not allow her to go through my things it only further validated how she was feeling about herself.  As I was processing this I decided to offer her a tic tac that I had.  She came over to me, smiled and took it.  She smiled when she tasted its sweet taste.  I had redirected her and I think but for a brief moment, she felt as if she was something, and no longer nothing.

No comments: