Tuesday, April 8, 2008

3/8/2008

Do you ever really think about your fears? Do you consider all the areas of your life where it holds you back? I went on another hike tonight. I took my daughter Charity and also my sister in laws foster child Patrick. Patrick is 17. We went to a hike by a river with quite strong rapids. We walked along the river for a while and we noticed off in the distance 3 men on kayaks. We watched for a while and then marched on. We came to the end of the trail and was faced with the decision to turn back, or climb the very steep hill to a trail above. Since we were all in adventerous moods we went for it. As we climbed about 1/2 way to the top we stopped and looked back and noticed that one of the men in the kayaks had fallen out. The other two were trying to secure his boat and their floundering friend. We watched but then pressed on. The climb became more treacherous the higher we went. The ground was covered with leaves and the ground below was somewhat muddy and slippery. For a moment I thought to myself what did I get these kids into. There was that bit of fear that creeps into our minds and we doubt whether we should go forward or turn back. We ended up making it of course and were once again on solid ground. As we walked back we decided to go back down towards the river, this time on the steps provided by the path. We ended up catching up with the men on the kayaks. The one who had turned over still looked shaken and weary. He and one of the others decided to walk down the shore carrying their kayaks. As we were leaving the park, I was thinking of how important it is for me as a parent to expose my kids to moments like we had on that hill. To face our fears and keep on moving forward. Sometimes our boats are gonna turn over and were going to get wet. Its not always going to work out perfectly as we planned. If we just refuse to quit though, just keep on forging forward, sooner or later were gonna get back on flat land, back on the path.

Today for me was one of those bad days. You know, days of doubt and worry. Days where your faith is weak and you want to give up. It seems its not Gods plan to always show me everything he is working on right now. He is the director and I just have to trust him. I must play my role and trust that he is putting together all of the other scenes even if I dont understand his plan. All I do know is that God is working, I cant see all that he is doing, but I know he is working. Bottom line, dont let fear hold you back, just put your trust in him and he will guide you. Dont give up, keep on believing!

No comments: