Friday, April 11, 2008

Sin Eater 4/11/2008

I just finished watching the movie titled "The Last Sin Eater", it was to me a great movie. The thing that I want to share some of you will think is strange, but Im going to share it anyway. First, do yourself a favor and rent this movie. We borrowed it from the local library so check there first to save a few bucks. While your at it check out a few good books and read them. Anyway, the thing I wanted to share is this. My wife was at the church tonight for a christian comedian with her friend. Her friend bought her a ticket and invited her to the event. My oldest daughter was spending the night with grandma, my boys were working at the YMCA. So I was blessed to go out on a date with my youngest daughter, being that she is only 9 she was a cheap date. She was also easy to please so Daddy, the last of the big spenders, took her to that fine place for dining, Wendy's. Hey cut me some slack, it was her choice! Anyway, after dinner we ran around a bit and then came home to watch the movie. We had it all set up and was just ready to hit play on the dvd player and the phone rang. It was the boys. My son left his lights on again and they needed a jump. Of course the jumper cables are in the van sitting at the church. Ok ok, I know I should have a set in my car too. So my daughter and I turn off the dvd and drive to the church. We drive around the church parking lot looking for our van, the place was packed with cars. Does the humor of this scene stand out to you as it did to me driving in circles in my own church's parking lot? We finally found the van and took it along with the cables leaving the mult-colored car door vehicle known as Daddys ride. See earlier post. We go to the Y jump the car and all go home. So there we all are watching the movie together which for us is a miracle in itself. No drum leesons, no video games, no other distractions, just the 4 of us watching the movie. The movie was really really good. I wont give the movie away, but some of you can guess by the title. Anyway, at the end of the movie it hits me. I tell the boys now I know why their car needed a jump. God wanted us to watch this movie together, the boys would have missed it otherwise. And he wanted to remind me that he is in control, even when something bad like a broken down car comes into my life. You see, when we cant trace his hand we must learn to trust his heart. The message of the movie is powerful, and I think God wanted to remind my teenagers about him and his love for them. Again, I dont want to give the movie away, just watch it.

I love when God does little things like this. Some of you are thinking this is silly. Some reject the entire notion of a loving God so involved in our lives. I for one know that he cares about even the smallest of details in our lives. He cares about the orphans all over the world that are lonely tonight and are broken hearted. He burdens the heart of crazy people like me to go and find one of his lost sheep in a far away land. He cares about the hurt your feeling maybe right now as you read these words. And yes, he even cares about the entertainment options of two teenagers who just happen to need to be reminded like the rest of us, that God does love them!

3 comments:

Rick said...

I very much enjoyed reading your posts. At the end of the day we can all rest assured that all things do in fact occur for a reason by Him. Our understanding the course or the path we must sometimes take to reach our goal is irrelevant; we will be where we will be as He sees fit for us. I often wondered why my best laid plans or aspirations floundered but in the end, those that came to pass came to fruition by His hand. They may not have arrived in the fashion that I expected, but looking back I have received what I needed when I needed it, as will you and Lisa. Life’s lessons are never ending, and by reading your posts this morning I have been reminded of many.

Rick

greg west said...

Thanks for the encoraging words Rick. It is always good to hear that God is using me in any way he sees fit to.

Anonymous said...

Greg
I feel so encouraged when I read your family blog. I was watching tv the other night and Idol Gives Back was on. Every year they do a fund raiser for charities all over the world. They raise tons of money that mainly goes to children's charities. They show footage of the different people the donations help. They showed Etheopia. Last year they found a little girl that appeared to be around Hope's age. She and her sister were separated after their parents were killed and she desperately wanted to find her big sister who appeared to be around Charity's age. Some of the money donated helped take the little girl to search for her sister who were both living on the streets. They found the sister and now they are together. Children in Etheopia as well as around the world need our help. You have opened my eyes so much to the terrible conditions around the world. Yes, I have always been a person who thought it is better to adopt or help children from America but you have changed that view. God's children are God's children no matter where they live. In the United States we have a lot of terrible circumstances that children are living in but we cannot do anything about that until the government takes the child away and once that happens, for the most part, I would say that the child's basic needs are taken care of. Clothes, food, medical, housing, etc. As you know, there are orphanages around the world with little or no means to provide for the children's basic needs. They are without proper medical attention and vaccines. They need netting to protect them from mosquitos and milaria, and even just clean water. The list goes on and on. Not to mention some children are not sleeping because it is too dangerous to sleep. A lot of them live in rooms the size of closets and sleep on dirt floors. In America that is child abuse
I want you to know that what you and Lisa are doing is AWESOME. Even if people do not or are not able to adopt, they can find a way to help these children. Donations also help these children. A small amount of money can provide quite a bit for these children. If you buy Pampers they provide a vaccine for children. There are so many things we can do if we open our minds and hearts. God bless you for opening yours.