Tuesday, March 25, 2008

3/25/2008

Someone recently said to me something like, " You know we cant fix all the evils in the world". I remember how I felt when I heard that, it didnt make me all that happy. I of course know this to be true, but I think its so easy to because a problem such as the world orphan crisis is so large to become apathetic. To begin to believe there is nothing that I can do myself about a particular problem. I found a poem on another Ethiopian adoption blog, (wow my blog needs work after seeing this one) that captures how I feel about this. You probably have heard this before but I want to share it with everyone nonetheless. Here it is.


Starfish Poem
As I walked along the seashore
This young boy greeted me.
He was tossing stranded starfish
Back to the deep blue sea.
I said, 'Tell me why you bother,
Why you waste your time this way.
There's a million stranded starfish
Does it matter, anyway?'
And he said, 'It matters to this one.
It deserves a chance to grow.
It matters to this one.
I can't save them all I know.
But it matters to this one,
I'll return it to the sea.
It matters to this one,
And it matters to me.'
-- Anonymous

This reminds me of a scene in a movie, the movie is "The Core". Its an end of the world type of a movie. There is a group of high level scientists trying to save the world. The leader is having a tough time, he is frantic and basically losing his composure. His good friend who is one of the scientists working with him has 2 children. He tells his friend that his problem is that the problem is too big. He tells him that he is trying to do too much, that he is trying to save the world. He tells him that he is just trying to save his 2 kids. I think that sentiment speaks to what I am trying to say here. I know I cant fix every wrong in the world. I cant solve every problem, remedy every injustice. But I can be faithful to the call that God has given me. To help at least one child. Thats what I intend to do!

No comments: