Saturday, March 29, 2008

3/29/2008 # 2

I saw this on another blog from a family that adopted from Ethiopia. I had to share this because it is really something to think about. If you feel that God may be calling you to adopt, please consider this fathers words, they are eloquent.

You are doing such a good thing

You are doing such a good thing." "It is wonderful. We all are so proud of you.""You’re a good man, Charlie Brown."All of these things and more have been said to me. Each time I smile, nod, and say an honest, "Thank you." But I wince inside.I don't wince because the people are not genuine; just the opposite is true. And not because I am too humble to receive the praise; sadly I am not. For a long time I was not even sure why I was troubled. It has been something that I have been thinking about for months now.Other "good deeds" that I carry out elicit no such response from people. Nobody comments on the common or the expected nice things that I do. When I loan out my truck, the recipient thanks me. No one else thanks me, because loaning out a truck is a common good deed for truck owners. When I take my son Buddy to the emergency room there is no fanfare because although the deed is uncommon (well, sort of), it is expected.But adopting orphans from Ethiopia. Now there is an event that is neither common nor expected. And so it is noteworthy. "You are doing such a good thing," they say.Now I understand why the comment makes me wince. When someone speaks those words it testifies to the fact that what I am doing is uncommon and unexpected.But the need is so great. The children are so beautiful. Life is so precious. They are "made in the image of God." Why should caring for orphans be uncommon and unexpected?I dream of a world where all children are cherished. A world where we spend more time and energy securing the future of the world's children than securing the future of the world's oil reserves. A world where caring for orphans is common and expected. I dream of a world where it would not occur to anyone to say, "Your doing such a good thing" to an orphan-adopting dad. Here is the link to this post-
http://welovebigfamilies.blogspot.com/2007/05/crazyds-icca.html.

His words say it all. Please consider what you can do.

Is it perhaps the love of things, free time, vacation, you name it that holds you back. Here is another post from this same dad on the subject of materialism.

Materialism

An Ethiopian adoption changes things in more ways than just having additional kids in the house. My perception of my own materialism has also been changing. When we were in Ethiopia visiting with some new missionary friends, they spoke of the effort it took to sell all that they had in order to free themselves from America: the business, the primary house, the cars, the beds, the couches, the blenders, the tools, the lawn mower. . . They did not sell all that they had. They kept the second home, the photos, and the family heirlooms. They also kept a host of other things that makes them really wealthy: access to clean water, access to health care, and access to bank accounts. This family tells me that many Ethiopians want to come to America - to be Americans. Americans have so much icca, "stuff" in Amharic. And they want icca, too. They want icca? I want less icca. They don't know what if feels like to be claustrophobic in a multi-thousand square foot home. Our home is only cleaned up if everything is skillfully packed/stacked/stored into closets/corners/crawl spaces with the same care as packing a suitcase. But when I am honest with myself, I realize that I don't want less of my stuff. I want less of the kids' stuff and less of CrazyMom's stuff. My stuff is already trim. What I have, I tell myself, is necessary and important. I want to clear the house of all of the junk. The McDonald's Happy Meal toys, the birthday party grab bag items, participation trophies, broken toys of sentimental value, rarely used placemats, half of CrazyMom's shoes, and the fish. But now, in my post-adoptive state, I am beginning to realize that I am the one with the icca problem. The solution to my icca problem is not to pick up a copy of "Storage Systems for Success" or "The Art of Clutter Clearing." This is not the solution because even if the clutter were cleared and the rest was neat and tidy, I would still have an icca problem. My problem is that I use my limited time and resources to take care of my stuff. It was not just my trip to Ethiopia that changed my thinking, it was adopting. Adopting Ethiopian children has given me a heart for the people of Ethiopia in a way that just traveling there would not. In my home I now get to see Ethiopian children side-by-side with all of my icca, and all of the icca is pretty icky compared to them. I now realize that I have bought into the American lie while believing I had not. The American lie tells me that I need something that I don't have, right now, and that that something will make my life a little better/happier/easier/more fulfilling. That a new gas grill will in some way satisfy me more than sponsoring an orphan in need. I have always told myself that I am not materialistic. I don't drive fancy cars, we shop at thrift stores, I would rather go to jail than to a mall, and I don't own an iPod - yet. But I now realize that this is not true. I am materialistic. Look at what I own. And deep inside of me I am beginning to feel that there is some conflict between what I own and my desire to care for orphans. A conflict between owning stuff and helping orphans? In America, this is an absurd thing to say. These things don't seem mutually exclusive. In America, it seems the more I own the more I will be able to give away. But now I am beginning to wonder. In my hands I see all of the worldly possessions that I own and my fingers are wrapped around them. All around me I see people in need and I want to lend a hand. But I can't. My hands are full. No time for Johnny who is hurting. I need to mow/mulch/trim/pull weeds/spray/fertilize. No time for Sally who is down. I need to pick up/repair/refinish/rearrange/install. No time to care for God's people. I need to care for my stuff. Christ stood on the edge of the Sea of Galilee. He called to Simon Peter and his brother Andrew. "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Here is what Scripture says that they did: "And they immediately left their nets, and followed him." (Matt 5:20) They left it all behind. Nets, boats, and fishing gear are the things that keeps us from being able to go along with Christ. Michael Card has a song about this scene with the line:
"And it's hard to imagine the freedom we find From the things we leave behind" Father God, I pray that you will cause my fingers to uncurl so that my hands are free to do Your work in this world. Amen.

1 life to give

Here is the link for this post- http://welovebigfamilies.blogspot.com/2007/05/crazyds-icca.html

1 comment:

CrazyD said...

Hi,

This is CrazyD over at welovebigfamilies.blogspot.com. I noticed you posted some of my material here. Here are the links to the original posts.

You are doing such a good thing

CrazyD's Icca

It is always good to link to the originals!

CrazyD